In her new book A Little Handbook for Preachers: Ten Practical Ways to a Better Sermon by Sunday, Mary Hulst offers wisdom from a career of preaching and teaching preaching, on everything from the logistics of preparing to preach to reflections on the meaning and purpose of preaching. She has insights, encouragement, and ideas to offer pastors who preach sermons and listeners who hear them, calling the church to delve deeply into Scripture.
Mary Hulst is Chaplain at Calvin College. She is a graduate of Calvin Theological Seminary and former senior pastor at Eastern Avenue Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She holds a PhD in communication ethics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is a former professor of Communication Arts and Sciences at Calvin College and professor or preaching at Calvin Seminary.
Laura de Jong is a pastor at Second Christian Reformed Church in Grand Haven, Michigan.
- Learn more and read a sample of A Little Handbook for Preachers from Google Books
- Watch or listen to Mary Hulst’s presentation to the January Series at Calvin College
- Read Mary Hulst’s bio from Calvin College
- Learn more about Campus Ministries and LOFT at Calvin College
- Read a Q&A with Mary in the Calvin College Chimes
- Find resources for preaching from the Center for Excellence in Preaching and PreachingandWorship.org